Deadline to Apply: Friday, February 4, 2022
Luminarts Jazz Fellowships are increasing to $10k per artist in honor of Luminarts' 10-Year anniversary.
The Jazz Fellowship Competition awards four $10,000 Luminarts Fellowships to jazz musicians through the performance of original, creative, and spontaneously improvised jazz music. Jazz finalists will receive a $500 honorable mention award. The competition includes a two-tiered jury process, with recorded preliminary auditions hosted through an online application process and the finals live. Of the Jazz Fellowship applicants, eight finalists will be selected to perform live for the final round of judging at the Jazz Finals hosted on Thursday, February 24, 2022 at Jazz Showcase.
Applicants must meet the following eligibility requirements:
· Be between the ages of 18 and 30 years old on the date of applying
· Be currently enrolled in, or have completed, a degree program, conservatory, or other professional artist development program (not necessarily specific to the program of which you are applying)
· Live or attend school (in person or virtually) within 150 miles of the Chicago Loop
Submission and Preliminary Audition Guidelines
There are four components that must be attached to your initial application before auditioning. These include:
Applicants must attach two audio samples and one video sample with the application (three total music samples). You may record an audio clip using a recorder on a mobile device or other recording equipment. Your recordings will be used for judging purposes. Please attach three (one video and two audio) to your application and do not attach recordings over ten minutes long.
Please record a selection of your choice of the audition repertoire listed below and upload these recordings to your application. Recordings that feature an accompanist are preferred. Recordings with play-along recordings are also acceptable. Ensemble recordings that include the applicant as a soloist may also be used but must be edited down to include only the applicant’s solo sections.
· Applicants will submit one blues piece and two compositions of their choice. Vocalists should include words and skat in their performance. While we request individual submissions be under 10 minutes it’s perfectly acceptable and even preferred to upload clips 3-5 minutes long.
· Please limit file size to 50 MB or less and length to less than ten minutes per audio/ video submission. While some of the repertoire requirements are longer than ten minutes, we ask that you use your best judgement on what portions of the requirements to submit. YouTube link or file uploads are allowed.
· File name should be the title of the piece.
· Files and images may not include your name or other personal information.
· Please provide the highest quality recordings possible and note a variety of selections within the guidelines is preferred.
· All submission should be unedited.
· Please save all recordings and videos in the event we need you to resubmit any of the materials.
Applicants will be judged by the originality and creativity of their spontaneous improvisation. Applicants should demonstrate knowledge and respect for the melody, and accuracy of improvising chord changes.
Your career statement should outline what your career objectives are as an artist, how becoming a Luminarts Fellow would help support those objectives, and how you envision your art/career impacting the greater Chicago community. Your statement may not exceed 500 words in total and this statement will be used in the Foundation's evaluation.
Space will be provided on the application to include the name, contact information, and relationship to one professional or educational reference. Note that references may or may not be contacted as part of this process.
After Submitting Your Application
Once you submit your application you will receive a confirmation email. If you do not receive a confirmation email immediately after submitting your application, please check your spam/junk filter and settings. If you still have not received a confirmation email immediately after submitting your application, please contact the Foundation.
Applicants will be notified by Monday, February 14, 2022, as to whether they have been selected as a Luminarts Jazz Finalist.
Jazz Finals and Audition Guidelines:
The Jazz Finals will be hosted in Chicago on Thursday, February 24 from 5-7pm. Four of the eight finalists will be selected as Jazz Fellows. If you are selected as a finalist to perform at the Jazz Finals you will be asked to perform two (2) selections; one (1) blues piece, and one (1) composition of your choice (these can be the same or different from your original submission).
· Applicants will be limited to a ten (10) minute time slot, which includes setup and take down
· Applicants will improvise one (1) blues piece and one (1) composition of their choice. Vocalists should include words and skat in their performance. Drummers might be asked to sight read a jazz standard with appropriate fills and solos if the jurors request.
· Applicants will be judged by the originality and creativity of their spontaneous improvisation
· A professional accompanist (piano) will be provided for the audition (Do not bring your own accompanist)
· Applicants must bring lead sheets for the accompanist
· Applicants should demonstrate knowledge and respect for the melody, and accuracy of improvising chord changes
While applicants may reapply to the Luminarts Fellowship annually, they are only eligible to receive the Fellowship award once. However, once an individual has been designated a Luminarts Fellow they are eligible to apply for Fellow Project Grants through the Foundation. For Project Grant information, please visit our Artist Opportunities page.
For questions about eligibility or more information about the Fellowship visit our FAQs page or contact Luminarts at firstname.lastname@example.org or (312) 435-5961,
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Friday, February 4, 2022 11:59 p.m. CST.
***Please note that due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, audition schedules and selection processes are subject to change.***