Visual Arts Fellowship
Deadline to Apply: Friday, March 1, 2024
Luminarts Visual Arts Fellowships are $10,000 per artist. The Visual Arts Fellowship awards three (3) $10,000 Luminarts Fellowships for excellence in Visual Arts (i.e., drawing, painting, photography, printmaking, mixed media, sculpture, and moving images). Visual Arts finalists will receive a $250 honorable mention award. Please note that artists integrating a moving image/video into their work may apply and are welcome to submit short clips of the integrated pieces along with images of the overall installation. However, the Luminarts Visual Arts Fellowship program does not currently accept short films.
Luminarts is committed to ensuring equity within its programs and welcomes applicants, artists, audience members, and supporters regardless of race, ethnicity, gender identity, class, religion, sexual orientation, or citizenship status.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Friday, March 1, 2024 at 11:59 p.m. CST.
***Please note that audition schedules and selection processes are subject to change.***
Eligibility and Guidelines
Applicants must meet the following eligibility requirements:
· Be between the ages of 18 and 30 years old on the date of applying
· Be currently enrolled in, or have completed, a degree program, conservatory, or other professional artist development program (not necessarily specific to the program for which you are applying)
· Live in IL, IN, MI or WI
· Be available to hang/setup artwork (two pieces on the 2nd floor of the John David Mooney Foundation) in downtown Chicago prior to Thursday, April 25, 2024. This is only required if you are selected as a finalist.
· Be available to attend the Visual Arts Exhibition Finals at the JDM Foundation in Chicago (River North) on Thursday, April 25, 2024, from 5:00 p.m. - 7:00 p.m. CST. This is only required if you are selected as a finalist.
· Please note that the Luminarts Cultural Foundation is not responsible for finalists’ work while they are in our possession. Work is typically installed 1-3 days prior to the event and taken down the evening of the event or the following day.
While applicants may reapply to the Luminarts Fellowship annually, they are only eligible to receive the Fellowship award once. However, once an individual has been designated a Luminarts Fellow they are eligible to apply for Fellow Project Grants through the Foundation. For Project Grant information visit our Artist Opportunities page.
For questions about eligibility or more information about the Fellowship please visit our FAQs page or contact Luminarts at email@example.com or (312) 435-5961.
There are five (5) components that must be attached to your application:
· Three (3) images of your artwork;
· A career statement outlining what your career objectives are as an artist, how becoming a Luminarts Fellow would help support those objectives, and how you envision your art/career impacting the greater Chicago community;
· The name, contact information, and relationship to one (1) professional or educational reference;
· An artist statement; and
Read below for specific details about each of these components.
Images of Your Artwork:
· Image resolution should be a minimum of 72 ppi;
· All image file sizes may not exceed 1 MB (video clip limit is 50 MB);
· File name should be the title of the piece; and
· Files and images may not include your name or other personal information.
All images submitted must be of artworks able to be installed in a shared gallery space within a limited period of time. Space will be provided on the application to include details about each attached work. Please include the title, date, medium for each work, dimensions in inches. Example: My Art, 2023, Inkjet print, acrylic, and oil on canvas, 20 x 30 ″
Your career statement should outline what your career objectives are as an artist, how becoming a Luminarts Fellow would help support those objectives, and how you envision your art/career impacting the greater Chicago community. Your statement may not exceed 500 words in total.
Space will be provided on the application to include the name, contact information, and relationship to one (1) professional or educational reference. Note that references may not be contacted as part of this process.
Please provide a brief statement about your creative practice. Artist statement may not exceed 300 words.
Moving Image/Video Clip Guidelines:
Artists integrating a moving image/video into their work may apply and are welcome to submit short clips of the integrated pieces along with images of the overall installation. However, the Luminarts Visual Arts Fellowship Program does not currently accept short films. If submitting a moving image/video file:
· The file size may not exceed 50 MB;
· The video length may not exceed three (3) minutes;
· The file must be in mp4 format; and
· External links are not accepted.
Images and videos are reviewed by Luminarts jurors via Submittable. If a particular piece requires multiple angles or views then you may create one (1) image file with all views to be counted as one (1) submission/piece. Please exercise good judgment when submitting images and/or video. Visit our Frequently Asked Questions page or contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org for specific questions about file submission. Please note that if selected as a finalist you will be required to bring your own equipment for the installation.
After Submitting Your Application
Applicants will be notified via email by Tuesday, March 26, 2024 regarding whether or not they have been selected as a Luminarts Visual Arts finalist. Please do not contact the Foundation before March 26, 2024 regarding your status as a finalist. The three (3) winners will be announced live on Thursday, April 25, 2024.