Creative Writing Fellowship
Deadline to Apply: Friday, February 17, 2023 at 11:59 p.m. CST.
Luminarts Creative Writing Fellowships are $10,000 per artist. The Creative Writing Fellowship awards two (2) Fellowships for Excellence in Creative Writing in the categories of poetry and prose, both fiction and nonfiction.
Luminarts is committed to ensuring equity within its programs and welcomes applicants, artists, audience members, and supporters regardless of race, ethnicity, gender identity, class, religion, sexual orientation, or citizenship status.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Friday, February 17, 2023 at 11:59 p.m. CST.
***Please note that due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, audition schedules and selection processes are subject to change.***
Applicants must meet the following eligibility requirements:
· Be between the ages of 18 and 30 years old on the date of applying
· Be currently enrolled in, or have completed, a degree program, conservatory, or other professional artist development program (not necessarily specific to the program for which you are applying)
· Live within 150 miles of the Chicago Loop
While applicants may reapply to the Luminarts Fellowship annually, they are only eligible to receive the Fellowship award once. However, once an individual has been designated a Luminarts Fellow they are eligible to apply for Fellow Project Grants through the Foundation. For Project Grant information visit our Artist Opportunities page.
For questions about eligibility or more information about the Fellowship visit our Frequently Asked Questions page or contact Luminarts at email@example.com or (312) 435-5961.
There are four (4) components that must be attached to your application:
· A written piece of your work, two (2) pages maximum length, single-spaced (excerpts of larger work are also allowed, but limited to two (2) pages);
· A career statement outlining what your career objectives are as an artist, how becoming a Luminarts Fellow would help support those objectives, and how you envision your art/career impacting the greater Chicago community;
· The name, contact information, and relationship to one (1) professional or educational reference; and
· CV/ Resume.
Read below for specific details about each of these components.
Your Written Piece:
While all work is welcome, the Foundation and its jurors encourage applicants to submit work that embraces exploration and risk-taking.
· Submit one (1) piece of writing in either prose or poetry, fiction, or nonfiction.
· The piece should be no more than two (2) pages in length
· The document should be single-spaced, using 11-12 pt. type, in a standard academic font (i.e., Times New Roman, Cambria, Georgia, Arial, or Calibri; no exceptions).
· Please submit your piece in Microsoft Word format (.doc or .docx)
· The .doc file name should be the title of the piece (example: "Catcher in the Rye.doc")
· Remove your name from all pages
· Write the title of your piece in the top left header
· Below the title indicate if the piece is poetry or prose, and fiction or nonfiction
· If your piece is an excerpt, please indicate "excerpt" (you will also attach the full-length piece using the same guidelines, indicating "full piece")
· If your written piece is an excerpt of a larger body of work such as a novel or short story, space will be provided for you to attach the full piece in addition to the excerpt.
· Edit the entire document for grammatical errors
Your career statement should outline what your career objectives are as an artist, how becoming a Luminarts Fellow would help support those objectives, and how you envision your art/career impacting the greater Chicago community. Your statement may not exceed 500 words in total.
Space will be provided on the application to include the name, contact information, and relationship to one (1) professional or educational reference. Note that references may or may not be contacted as part of this process.
After Submitting Your Application
Applicants will be notified via email or phone call by Thursday, April 20, 2023 regarding whether or not they have been selected as a winner. Please do not contact the Foundation before April 20, 2023 regarding the status of your application. If you are selected as a winner, please reserve the evening of Tuesday, May 9, 2023 for an event celebrating your Fellowship and the Visual Arts Finals. Your attendance on May 9, 2023 is required for your Fellowship award.