Deadline to Apply: Monday, February 8, 2021
The Jazz Fellowship Competition awards four $7,500 Luminarts Fellowships to jazz musicians through the performance of original, creative, and spontaneously improvised jazz music. The competition includes a two-tiered jury process, with recorded preliminary auditions sent in through the online application. The final jazz competition will be based off the original recorded submissions judged by a separate set of jurors.
Of the Jazz Fellowship applicants, eight finalists will be selected for the final round of judging and four winners will be selected by Friday, February 26, 2021.
Applicants must meet the following eligibility requirements:
· Be between the ages of 18 and 30 years old on the date of applying
· Be currently enrolled in, or have completed, a degree program, conservatory, or other professional artist development program (not necessarily specific to the program of which you are applying)
· Live or attend school (in person or virtually) within 150 miles of the Chicago Loop
Submission and Preliminary Audition Guidelines
There are four components that must be attached to your application before auditioning. These include:
· Two audio recordings or samples of a performance that will be reviewed by a panel of jurors
· Please record the audition repertoire listed below and upload these recordings to your application. Recordings that feature the applicant as a soloist in a small group are preferred. Recordings with play-along recordings are also acceptable. Ensemble recordings that include the applicant as a soloist may also be used but must be edited down to include only the applicant’s solo sections.
· Applicants will submit one blues piece and one composition of their choice. Vocalists should include words and skat in their performance. The total time of the recordings should not exceed ten minutes.
· All audio submissions should be unedited
· Please limit file size to 50 MB or less and length to less than ten minutes.
· Please provide the highest quality recordings possible.
· File name should be the title of the piece
· Files and images may not include your name or other personal information
· Please save all recordings in the event we need you to resubmit any of the materials
· A career statement outlining what your career objectives are as an artist, how becoming a Luminarts Fellow would help support those objectives, and how you envision your art/career impacting the greater Chicago community
· The name, contact information, and relationship to one professional or educational reference
Read below for specific details about each of these components.
Applicants must attach two audio samples with the application. You may record an audio clip using a recorder on a mobile device or other recording equipment. Your recordings will be used for judging purposes. Please attach two recordings to your application and do not attach recordings over ten minutes long. Applicants will be judged by the originality and creativity of their spontaneous improvisation. Applicants should demonstrate knowledge and respect for the melody, and accuracy of improvising chord changes.
Your career statement should outline what your career objectives are as an artist, how becoming a Luminarts Fellow would help support those objectives, and how you envision your art/career impacting the greater Chicago community. Your statement may not exceed 500 words in total and this statement will be used in the Foundation's evaluation.
Space will be provided on the application to include the name, contact information, and relationship to one professional or educational reference. Note that references may or may not be contacted as part of this process.
After Submitting Your Application
Once you submit your application you will receive a confirmation email. If you do not receive a confirmation email immediately after submitting your application, please check your spam/junk filter and settings. If you still have not received a confirmation email immediately after submitting your application, please contact the Foundation.
Applicants will be notified by Friday, February 26, 2021 as to whether they have been selected as a Luminarts Jazz Fellow. Please note finalists may be asked to submit a video before a final decision is made.
While applicants may reapply to the Luminarts Fellowship annually, they are only eligible to receive the Fellowship award once. However, once an individual has been designated a Luminarts Fellow they are eligible to apply for Fellow Project Grants through the Foundation. For Project Grant information, please visit our Artist Opportunities page.
For questions about eligibility or more information about the Fellowship visit our FAQs page or contact Luminarts at firstname.lastname@example.org or (312) 435-5961,
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Monday, February 8, 2021 11:59 p.m. CST.
***Please note that due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, audition schedules and selection processes are subject to change.***