The Classical Music Fellowship awards five Luminarts Fellowships to classical musicians in categories of Women's and Men's Voice, Piano, Strings, and Winds; $52,500 in total.
- Three $7,500 Fellowships will be awarded to musicians in the categories of piano, strings, and winds.
- Two $15,000 Fellowships will be awarded to musicians in Women's and Men's Voice
Applicants must meet the following eligibility requirements:
- Be between the ages of 18 and 30 years old on the date of applying
- Be currently enrolled in, or have completed, a degree program, conservatory, or other professional artist development program
- Live within 150 miles of the Chicago Loop
There are three components that must be attached to your application before auditioning. These include:
- An audio recording of a performance
- A career statement outlining what your career objectives are as an artist, how becoming a Luminarts Fellow would help support those objectives, and how you envision your art/career impacting the greater Chicago community
- The name, contact information, and relationship to one (1) professional or educational reference
Read below for specific details about each of these components.
Applicants will attach an audio recording (no more than five minutes in length). Attached files must be in mp3 format and be no larger than 50 MB.
- Your career statement should outline what your career objectives are as an artist, how becoming a Luminarts Fellow would help support those objectives, and how you envision your art/career impacting the greater Chicago community
- Your statement may not exceed 500 words in total
- This statement will be used in the Foundation's evaluation
- Space will be provided on the application to include the name, contact information, and relationship to one (1) professional or educational reference.
Audition and Repertoire Information
Applicants will schedule an audition online from a list of available audition dates. In order to successfully schedule an audition, applicants must provide a valid credit card to hold an audition time. Please note, there is no fee to book an audition; however, in the event an applicant cancels their audition after the cancellation deadline of Monday, March 11, 2019 at 9 a.m., Luminarts will charge a late cancellation fee of $50. In the event an applicant is a no call/no show for the audition, they will be subject to the $50 late cancellation fee as well. The late cancellation fee does not apply to applicants who cancel an audition before this deadline.
The Foundation will process an authorization on the card to verify it. This may appear as a $1.00 charge on your credit card statement but will disappear after a few business days.
Scheduling the Audition
Applicants will be notified via email on Wednesday, February 13, 2019 to begin scheduling their auditions. The email message on February 13 will include a link and instructions to schedule the audition online. Auditions are booked on a first come, first serve basis. All auditions must be scheduled by Monday, March 11, 2019 at 9 a.m. CST. Audition times are not guaranteed until you receive an email confirmation from Luminarts with the booked audition time. If you have questions or need assistance with scheduling an audition please contact the Foundation.
What to Bring to the Audition
Bring three (3) copies of a list of your repertoire to the audition. Jurors will request selections based off of your repertoire list. You do not need to bring the sheet music for the jurors. Only bring a list of the repertoire pieces. Be prepared to perform any selections listed on your repertoire list. Audition slots are 10 minutes per musician, therefore jurors might not request every selection be performed. Be prepared to perform any of your pieces when requested by the jurors.
Applicants must provide their own accompanist (excluding musicians auditioning in piano). If one of your pieces does not have accompaniment, perform the piece as the composer intended it to be performed.
Auditions will be held at the Union League Club of Chicago, located at 65 West Jackson Boulevard in Chicago. The Union League Club of Chicago has a strict business casual policy. No jeans or gym shoes may be worn by applicants or their guests.
- Tuesday, March 19, 2019, Piano Auditions
- Wednesday, March 20, 2019, Strings Auditions
- Thursday, March 21, 2019, Winds Auditions
- Monday, March 25, 2019, Women's Voice Preliminary Auditions
- Tuesday, March 26, 2019, Men's Voice Preliminary Auditions
- Thursday, March 28, 2019, Men's and Women's Voice FINAL Auditions, 5—7 p.m.
Piano Repertoire (All From Memory):
- Prelude and Fugue, Bach's Well Tempered Clavier (no repeats)
- One sonata (complete movements) or other major work from Classical Period (no repeats)
- One major work from the Romantic or Impressionist Period (no repeats)
- One bravura etude or toccata (no repeats)
- One contrasting composition from 20th or 21st century. Please provide the score if the piece was written after 1970.
Strings and Winds Repertoire:
- One concerto from memory
- One sonata with piano (memory not required)
- One contrasting modern or contemporary composition, 1945 - Present (memory not required)
Voice Repertoire (all from memory, except #2 oratorio):
- One aria from an opera in its original language
- One aria from an oratorio
- One selection of each of the following:
- Italian song of the 17th - 19th centuries, sung in Italian
- German song from the Classic, Romantic, or Modern Periods, sung in German
- French song from the Classic, Romantic, or Modern Periods, sung in French
- Contemporary song by English or American composers, sung in English
After the Audition
Piano, Strings, and Winds musicians will be notified by 5 p.m. on the same day of their audition whether or not they have been selected as a winner and Luminarts Fellow.
Men's and Women's Voice musicians will also be notified by 5 p.m. on the same day of their preliminary audition whether or not they have been selected as a finalist. Voice Finalists will then return to the Union League Club of Chicago for the Voice Finals on Thursday, March 28, 2019 from 5–7 p.m.
Applicants will be able to cancel or reschedule an existing audition using the links included in the audition email that will be sent to applicants on Wednesday, February 13, 2019. The deadline to schedule or to cancel an existing audition is Monday, March 11, 2019 at 9 a.m. After that time you must call the Foundation at (312) 435-5961 to cancel an existing audition. Cancellations after the cancel deadline will be subject to the $50 cancellation fee, including a no call/no show, and in addition, any applicant who is a no call/no show to a scheduled audition without previously contacting the Foundation will be disqualified from any future Luminarts programs.
Warm-Up Room Information:
While warm-up space cannot be guaranteed, Luminarts will make every effort possible to provide a warm-up space for applicants who are auditioning in classical music. Applicants who wish to use warm-up space are required to arrive 30 minutes before their scheduled audition time, and must check in to the audition registration area prior to using the room. Applicants will have ten (10) minutes to warm-up, approximately 20 minutes before the scheduled audition time. This will allow enough time to return to the registration area 10 minutes prior to the scheduled audition. For example, if your audition is scheduled for 11 a.m. you must arrive by 10:30 a.m. to check in, and will have warm-up space available from 10:40—10:50 p.m., then returning to registration for your audition to begin at 11 a.m. Applicants are not allowed to swap warm-up times with each other or remain in the warm-up space longer than 10 minutes without prior approval from Luminarts.
After Submitting Your Application
You will receive a confirmation email immediately after successfully submitting your application. If you do not receive a confirmation email please check your spam/junk filter settings. If you still have not received confirmation after submitting your application please contact the Foundation. Once your application submission is confirmed, you do not need to do anything until Luminarts contacts you on Wednesday, February 13 with audition scheduling information. The email at that time will include a link and instructions to schedule your audition online. Once scheduled, you will receive a confirmation email with the booked audition. If you do not receive an email after scheduling your audition please contact the Foundation.
While applicants may reapply to Luminarts Fellowship annually, they are only eligible to receive the Fellowship award once. However, once an individual has been designated a Luminarts Fellow they are eligible to apply for Fellow Project Grants through the Foundation. For Project Grant information visit our Artist Opportunities page.
For questions about eligibility or more information about the Fellowship visit our Frequently Asked Questions page or contact Luminarts at email@example.com or (312) 435-5961
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Friday, February 8, 2019 11:59 p.m. CST.